Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My First Japan Crate ! (August crate) review


 
Hey everybody! Today I will be writing about my experience with Japan Crate! 
To start off, Japan Crate is a monthly Japanese candy/snack subscription service where you can order boxes of Japanese candy-HOW AWESOME IS THAT

My Japan Crate journey started when I saw their booth at Anime Expo 2015 in Los Angeles. My boyfriend and I both subscribed, and as a treat, got a free bag of green tea Kit Kats! We also got to grab candy out of a box with a giant pair of chopsticks (sadly I have no photos of that)

When subscribing to Japan Crate, you have a choice of three different crate sizes: Mini, Original, or Premium, and each crate is shipped for free~
 I decided to go with the Premium crate, aka the largest for, because life is too short to skimp out on Japanese candy.

Look at that
That's like 3 pounds of sugary heaven right there
M A R V E L O U S 

The crate came with a little guidebook, which gave a detailed description of each candy, plus their trip to AX 2015! the drawings are so cute (´∀`)♡

The first item I'll be sharing is Japanese BBQ Scones
Nothing about them appear to be scones. More like BBQ Cheetos, only 50x better! These babies were definitely my favorite out of the crate. Plus just look at these guys, you got two cats greeting you as you eat these
It's BBQ chip lovin' kitty and his oddly disturbing yet handsome brother who has apparently reached cat puberty first
(They're on the back too ΦзΦ)

Pokemon sticker puzzle with gum
I was REEAALLY hoping to get something Pokemon, so this was pretty dang awesome. (Plus the puzzle included a cheat sheet so puzzle-impaired people like me won't screw up)

One of the more interesting snacks I received were pretzel-type sticks called Pretz
These cracker sticks were Soy Sauce flavored, and quite powerful! At first, I got a strong soy sauce taste, but after I really began chewing them I got a buttery biscuit taste, which really became addicting (≧ε≦)

Definitely the silliest candy I got was the Crayon Shin-Chan candy
 When you press down on the top of the box, the little hidden tab is revealed to make his pants fall down (≧∇≦) 
(I originally forgot that this was hard candy, and nearly broke my jaw biting it) 
Not only was this candy really fun to eat, it was ramune flavored! My favorite~

"Wow, Such Banana?!"
I'm laughing because this is actually the name of the candy (๑→‿ฺ←๑) It sounds like a candy Doge would have made
Banana flavored coating with marshmallow and chocolate inside-yum! 

Puzzle & Dragons x Bikkuriman Wafer
I have no clue what Puzzle & Dragons is, but the little chocolate wafer was very good (´∀`)♡ It's hard to go wrong with wafer candies

Next is Mario Kart Gum!
This gum came in a long strip of individually wrapped pieces, each with a different character on it. The gum itself was very soft and kind of sour, which is common for many Japanese gums. I was also happy to see Rosalina was included!

Next up is the mysterious Chocolate Pucca crackers
I say "mysterious" because I honestly don't know what these little guys are supposed to be. Ghosts? Amoebas? Sea critters? who knows. They kind of look like goldfish crackers, only filled with chocolate!
(' 3 ' 3)3
I did like the fact that they came with their own little scenery
Well, I certainly underestimated these guys-they aren't just blobs, they're archeologists or adventurers, exploring the great pyramids! 
too bad I ate them all before they could discover the lost tombs
 Crackling Cotton
An interesting name for an even more interesting candy, this one was definitely on the extreme end of what I received. It was basically a piece of purple cotton candy with pop rocks inside, and VERY sour. I ate it, but I have a feeling my insides were neon purple afterwards
Creamy Melon Soda
This soda tasted exactly like melon, and was very refreshing! I would definitely buy it again if I find it (◍•ᴗ•◍)<3
 Soda Mixing jelly Beans
Each jellybean tasted amazing on its own, but mixing them together is even more fun >w<
There's even a little guide on the back that lists what kind of flavors you get when mixing certain ones~
Next is Shuwa Shuwa Soda Candy
(I see soda flavor was a big theme this month) These hard candies came in three flavors: grape soda, orange soda, and cola. Plus, each one had a fizzy, soda flavored center ≧∇≦ a little sour, but very fun to eat!
And, last but not least, a Chocoroom DIY kit!
The kit came with 8 different mushroom molds, Meiji stems, and strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate icing!
 Thankfully the guide book gives instructions on how to make these, because the box was all in Japanese ι(´Д`ι)
Step 1: soaking the closed icing tubes in warm water to make the icing squeezable
Step 2: squeezing and layering the icing in the molds however you want
Step 3: putting the stems into the icing molds 
Step 4: placing the mushrooms in the freezer for a bit
and....
 TA DAAAAA~!
not the most beautiful mushrooms in the world, but they tasted great! This was also my first successful attempt at a candy DIY kit ;W;

~Ratings~☆ 

quality:♥♥♥♥♥
Box came with 13 Japanese snacks/candies, including a drink and DIT kit! Nothing was opened or broken. Plus, the box came with a guide book with cute illustrations and information on each snack!

customer service:♥♥♥♥♥
There was a bit of confusion at first when I wanted to upgrade my mini box to the premium one, but Japan Crate's staff was very helpful and polite. Plus, I ended up receiving the mini crate for free! (^▽^)

  cost:♥♥♥♥
For the Premium crate I paid $32, whichis no worse than the majority of Japanese candy services. For the fun you get out of it it's reasonable! 
  shipping:♥♥♥♥♥
Free shipping in a sturdy box! 
 overall:♥♥♥♥♥
  Japan Crate provided me with a full box of fun and curiosity! I can see a lot of care and effort goes into making these boxes and choosing just the right candy each month. I would highly recommend Japan Crate if you want a crazy yet amazing Japanese candy experience each month. This service is also perfect access to those who don't have anywhere to buy Japanese candy from, or want to try something other than just the most mainstream candies. I will definitely be ordering more crates in the future!

If you are interested in ordering from Japan Crate, check out their website here! Also, be sure to follow/check them out them on any of these social networking sites:
Thank you for reading this review!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Ice Cream Bar